Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back on Track


I’m back on track; eating paleo, working out, and feeling great. Well, with the exception of my back. I’ve got a follow up appointment with my orthopedic this week to see if there is anything I can do to relieve the pain.

Yesterday after I coached the GYG I worked on my press for speed with three reps on the minute for 7:00 at 60% of my single rep max. I used 26kg and was focusing on keeping my core tight and back vertical. I felt good about every rep I put up. The METCON was “Helen” which is three rounds for time of a 400m run, 21 kettle bell swings (14) and 12 pullups. My goal was to beat my previous time of 12:49. My “Helen” time is slow because running and pullups both are a struggle for me. When starting this WOD I decided that my kettle bell swings needed to be unbroken to make up for my weaknesses. I completed “Helen” this time around in 12:29, which is :20 faster than when I completed it back in May. I was happy that all of my KB swings were unbroken and my first 400m run was 1:43, which is pretty fast for me. I’m still working on a shorter kip, which is taking time to get used to. Overall I was pleased with my effort in this WOD and felt like I pushed myself, which is hard sometimes when you’re alone.

Today the strength portion of class was focused on the thruster. We were instructed to find a new 5 rep max. With my thruster single rep max being 55kg I completed 5 sets of 5 at 36kg-41kg-48kg. These felt super heavy today, but I did accomplish the task of finding a new 5RM. The WOD was 5 rounds of 5 burpees and 10 thrusters at 65% of your new 5RM, 31kg. I was able to keep the thrusters in the first round unbroken but then for the remaining rounds I split them into two sets of five. The burpees really took a toll on my endurance during this METCON. I completed all five rounds in 8:24. I was hoping for sub 8:00 but I know I got a great workout and was happy with my thrusters.

Since getting back on the paleo wagon I’ve dropped 9 pounds. I’m feeling great and glad to have made the choice to cut out the garbage and get back on track. I’m hoping to drop this weight and keep it off this time. I definitely was performing better in the gym last summer and I can’t help but wish I had that body back. However, I know wishing won’t get me anywhere…doing will get me the results I desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment