Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Let the Open BEGIN!

My favorite picture of some of my favorite people! The CIRC was an absolute BLAST! J

It’s that time again…the CrossFit Open is upon us. The first WOD, 12.1 was released on February 22nd. It was a brutal 7:00 AMrAP of burpees with a 6” touch. I knew this workout was going to test my mental strength and endurance. I decided to complete this workout on Thursday night since I wanted to rest and be prepared for the Chicago Indoor Rowing Championships on Saturday. I had the pleasure of coaching the 5 & 6pm classes and saw several people attempt 12.1 with great valor! There were some amazing ladies that had gotten 100+ and 90+ reps. At that moment I knew there was no way I’d be helping CrossFit Fire’s team score this week. Plus, I was still pretty sore from the walking lunges we did on Tuesday. I decided to just do my best to keep moving throughout the 7:00 and not destroy myself. I ended up with only 73 reps. I wasn’t disappointed as my only goal in the Open this year is to help CrossFit Fire qualify for regionals. Luckily we had some bad@$$ chicks that were able to knock this WOD outta the park!

Needless to say after the first week’s WOD I was praying for a heavy barbell! On February 29th 12.2 was announced. It was a snatch ladder, 30 snatches at 45lbs, 30 snatches at 75lbs, 30 snatches at 100lbs, and max snatches at 120lbs. That last round is PR weight! As soon as the WOD was announced I had high hopes. I really wanted to make it through all 90 of the first reps. Kinsy completed the WOD before Saturday and tallied up 79 reps. This coupled with a little snatch work at these weights made me rethink my goal. I decided Saturday morning that I’d be happy with 75 reps. I got to watch Nicole and Sammi both go through this one before I attempted. Nicole knocked out the second round in just 3 sets of 10! AMAZING! She ended up with 81 snatches. It was my turn, I was nervous but eager. I knew that this was MY workout and it was time for me to help CFF out! Bill called out “3, 2, 1,…go!” and I was off. I completed the first round unbroken. Resting only a millisecond at the top of a couple of reps. I switched out my weight and was ready to get after the second round. I wanted to complete this round in sets of 6. But, I was only able to rep out 6, then 5, 4, 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 2, & 2. When it came time for the second switch I was breathing hard and worried about my pace. The first rep at 100lbs went up pretty easily and the second, not so much. I really started to make that weight look heavy since I wasn’t dropping under the bar. I gutted every single rep out and when the buzzer sounded I had completed 73 snatches. I know I didn’t meet my goal but, my score was good enough to help CFF this week so I was ecstatic.

Here’s hoping for another WOD that’s in my wheel house. Maybe kettlebell swings and box jumps? Or cleans and double-unders? Hmmm…J

Last night during the strength portion of class we had 15:00 to work our way up to a heavy single jerk. As I was warming up the weight was moving overhead fairly well. I was thinking I had a PR in my future. I loaded my bar up to 70kg (which is 2kg more than my most recent PR), gave myself a little pep talk and jerked that bar overhead! It felt good and Bill thought I could go heavier. So, I rested a bit while Sammi rocked out a 2kg PR at 72kg. J I went ahead and attempted 72kg. My split wasn’t very deep and the bar tracked a little out in front but I still nailed the lift. BOOM…a 4kg PR! I was stoked. I even made it back on the record board, YAY!

The WOD annihilated me. It was 2 rounds of 20 thursters (40kg), 20 pull-ups and 20 burpees. My burpees and pull-ups are still lacking so I knew this workout was going to be a rough one. In addition, Bill had me scale up a few more kilos so I had 43kg on my bar. The funny thing about this workout was that my pull-ups felt strong (still not stringing lots together though) and I found a rhythm in my last set of burpees, kinda weird. It ended up taking me 14:04 to get through the 2 rounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment